20 February 2019

Canadian Tyre 60ft Container


I could only laugh when I read the blurb from Canadian Tyre and Canadian National on their 'World First' 60ft intermodal container.

Touted as being delivered in late 2015, and in operation in 2016, the time frame is comparable to the prototype Sadleirs 60ft container RCS 6301 which was on rail in Australia in late 2015.  

Despite the close timings beween the Canadian Tyre and Sadleirs container, there is no doubting that FCL (now Linfox) led the way with the first 60ft container.  While I can't find an exact date of manufacture, I have found evidence of it from 2004 and my photos are from 2011 when it was converted into an office space at Parkes NSW for Transtank (which closed in 2016 and the container is no longer on site).      
  












The blurb from CT and CN on the 'first' 60ft container.


A photo of the container, courtesy of Mac Mackay.
Two photos of RCS 6301 (also CICU 982982-7) which was a concept container to replace boxcars with container.  Photos courtest of Pete Donaghy.



 




The real world first 60ft (19m) container was built be FCL around 2004.  Here are my photos of it at Parkes in 2011 being used as an office space for Transtank.  

Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. The FCL 60' container is older than you thought. I left Parkes at the end of 1998 and the container was in existence before I left. It was built for the first double stack train out of Goobang, probably 1998 bu maybe 1997.

    ReplyDelete